Join British “textile taxidermist,” Donya Coward on a witty exploration of crafting three-dimensional animal sculptures using up- cycled vintage, modern and antique fabrics and haberdashery.
This workshop is about experiencing and working within the realm of paradox — the mythological essence of rabbit — in fiber. Additionally, in many cultures and traditions these animals were archetypal symbols for the feminine and female deities, as well as associated with the lunar cycle, fertility, longevity and the transformational cycle of life, and rebirth.
Using Jack Rabbit as our inspirational totem animal, you will shape yours from plastic molds. Then, using wadding position its head and sculpt its feet and body before applying a first layer of skin, which you will be encouraged to personalize by embellishing it through hand-stitchery.
During our time together, we will travel to Yellowstone National Park to learn from a naturalist guide more about Jack Rabbits and their habits and experience first-hand the diversity of their habitats. As we delve deeper into the world of Jack Rabbit, you may find your sculptures evolve in exciting and unfamiliar directions.
Throughout the workshop Donya will share the essence of her work, which involves preserving materials as much as it is about the animal forms she creates, and the inspiration she receives from the imperfections and histories of the materials she chooses that add character to her animal sculptures.
- Arrival and departure transfers from Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport
- 8 nights accommodation at El Western Cabins & Lodge (single occupancy)
- All meals and wine with dinner (except field trip tour day) — delicious homemade cooking by a local chef
- Workshop tuition
- Transportation and entrance fees for Yellowstone Park field trip
- Some materials — plan to bring your own specialty fabrics such as embroidered table linens, quilts, samplers, sewing supplies, photos, objets d’art to use as embellishments
• Airfare to and from Bozeman Yellowstone International Airport
• Cancellation & medical insurance
• Meals and drinks, not specified
• Yellowstone National Park guide gratuity
• Any items of a personal nature such as laundry, telephone calls
• Any item that is not specifically detailed in the final workshop itinerary
Space is limited to 10 participants.
$2,700 USD/ per person
Deposit & Refund Policy:
Non-refundable deposit of $500 USD is required by November 25, 2017 to secure your place. Balance is due 12 weeks prior to the start of the workshop (July 1, 2018). There are no refunds after the entire balance has been paid. No exceptions.
Pay via credit card through Square: https://squareup.com/store/HareRaisingWorkshop
Or call Blue Bird Studio: 1.406.579.7284 for further information or to make a reservation